Waterproof Topo Maps
Tom Harrison Maps
2 Falmouth Cove
San Rafael CA 94901-4465
Email: tomharrisonmaps at comcast.net
[Home |Order Form | About Us| Park and Map Resources |
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Do your maps have UTM grids? We need them for accurate GPS locations.
- We started putting both UTM grids and Latitude /Longitude markings on our maps in 1996, and all of our maps now have them. We are the only private topographic mapping company in California that includes both a UTM grid and Lat/Long values.
I'd like to sell your maps in my store. How do I get started?
- Email us at tomharrisonmaps at comcast.net . We are very well-known among the outdoor community and our maps have a great reputation.
Do you have any maps that are specifically for ...mountain bikes...backpackers... RVers... horseback riders...youth groups...dayhikers...4wd vehicles?
- Our maps are multi-purpose and they show whether bikes are allowed on trails or not. They show mileage between trail junctions. They show, by color-coded symbols, campgrounds, group camps, RV camps, interpretive trails, and 4wd roads.
Your maps are so much easier to read than any other maps I've seen. How do you do it?
- Map design is more than just putting a bunch of lines and symbols on a piece of paper. It involves decisions on what to leave off the map, what kind of typeface to use, what size lines and symbols to use. We recognize that maps are difficult to read for most people, and we design them so you don't have to know how to read a map, or even use a compass. We research each area, hike trails with a measuring wheel when needed, obtain aerial photography, coordinate with Park Service and Forest Service administrators, digitize government maps, and produce a product that is unique in the mapping industry- a full-color, shaded-relief, easy-to-use topographic map.
I have a degree in Geography and an interest in making maps. How do I get a job with your company?
- Well, that's a little difficult. The company consists of Tom and Barbara Harrison who do all the research, map production, business administration and general operations. We have worked as a team since 1976 and are very proud of the fact that just the two of us have been able to compete successfully in the outdoor retail market. We don't have any employees, and we have no plans to add employees. Sorry.
I'm going hiking in.......... (fill in the blank). Do you have a map that covers that area?
- Maybe. We only produce maps in California, and California is such a big state, with so many great hiking areas, that we have no plans to make any maps outside California. If you don't see a map listed on our website then we do not have it.
Since you've hiked in........(fill in the blank), can you give us some advice on what to take and when to go?
- The short answer- no. We are not licensed guides, and when we hike, it's usually under less-than-pleasant conditions because we are trying to cover a lot of ground. Please call the Park or Forest for more information.
Why can't I find all your maps at my local retailer?
- Some retailers carry a larger selection than others, and some retailers tend to forget that in addition to buying camping gear, people want and need maps. We produce a very small product that doesn't cost very much and we sometimes get lost in the product mix. Maps are a very localized product, and stores in southern California may not carry maps of northern California areas.
Can we send you an e-mail?
- We always appreciate suggestions and corrections. We don't always agree with suggestions, but we do take them very seriously and we always check out your changes and corrections when it's time to reprint a map. Our address is tomharrisonmaps at comcast.net. Use the @ sign instead of the word "at" and it will get to us.
When are you going to make a map of........(fill in the blank)?
- Gosh, if only we knew the answer to that one. We are working on converting some of our existing maps to a PDF format which you can use on your computer, mobile phone, or eBook reader. We do have an e-mail list of people who have purchased maps from us in the past, and we very sporadically send out new announcements. If you want to be on our list, send us an email and we'll add you to the list.
[Home |Order Form | About Us | Park and Map Resources|